Discuss Part 1 of OGaM

#1 User is offline   Ethan H. Calk Icon

• OG&M Co-Writer & Associate Producer & Forum Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:38 PM

Greetings, Trek Fans!

We are eager to hear what you thought of our movie!

Since this is the spoiler section, you can talk about anything and everything...

Ethan
associate producer and co-writer

#2 User is offline   Tom Icon

• Renegade Studios & STOGAM Webmaster
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

Ok Ethan, i will start with this one i always wanted to ask you:

Why wasn't Uhura, Chekov and Harriman protected from the time change, we know from City on the Edge of Forever that Kirk and Spock were protected even though the Enterprise was no longer in orbit.
Renegade Studios & STOGAM Webmaster & PR - contact@renegade-studios.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TrekUnited.com - Co-Founder
Galactica.com & GalacticaBBS.com - Creator & Owner

#3 User is offline   pauley79 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:KC-135R's and Star Trek

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

Tom asked me to post this question here, so here goes...

View Postpauley79, on Dec 23 2007, 10:35 AM, said:

Well, I liked it... It was a different story then we are use to. Was confused in one part, if anyone can help. When we see the Enterprise in the "normal" time line, was is it NCC-1701-M? Does the "M" stand for "museum"? And if so, then why was it the ship that responded, and had mixed uniforms on it? Those where my only questions I had.

Want to see more, I hope we don't have to wait another year for part two.

Please visit my website for some of the best Star Trek Fan Films out there!
http://www.pauley79.com
N.K.A.W.T.G.

#4 User is offline   Ethan H. Calk Icon

• PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

View PostTom, on Dec 22 2007, 06:48 PM, said:

Ok Ethan, i will start with this one i always wanted to ask you:

Why wasn't Uhura, Chekov and Harriman protected from the time change, we know from City on the Edge of Forever that Kirk and Spock were protected even though the Enterprise was no longer in orbit.

One difference is that Charlie was controlling the Guardian here, rather than Kirk just asking it to show them a time in the past...

probably won't satisfy you, but... <_<

E

#5 User is offline   Ethan H. Calk Icon

• PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

View Postpauley79, on Dec 22 2007, 07:45 PM, said:

Tom asked me to post this question here, so here goes...

The M does indeed stand for Museum, though we downplayed that in the final cut. The regular officers had the retro 60's uniforms to match the "age" of the ship. The visitors (i.e. Chekov, Uhura and Harriman) wore their regular uniforms.

And they responded to the distress call because the were the closest ship - others were undoubtedly on their way, but the Enterprise got there first...

Ethan

#6 User is offline   Ethan H. Calk Icon

• PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:55 PM

View Postpauley79, on Dec 22 2007, 07:45 PM, said:

Want to see more, I hope we don't have to wait another year for part two.

Nah, you won't have to wait that long... Though we don't have a definite date for Part II, it's going to be fairly soon

Ethan

#7 User is offline   Captain Serek Icon

• Pip
  • Interests:Star Trek, history, music, movies, Shakespeare

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:57 PM

I enjoyed the first part. Great performances and good seeing the various Star Trek casts in one film. Kudos to the writers, director Tim Russ and all those associated with it. Silly question, what was the name registry and class of ship that was seen earlier, not the Enterprises, but the one that I think transported Capt. Uhura.
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

#8 User is offline   Ethan H. Calk Icon

• PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

View PostCaptain Serek, on Dec 22 2007, 07:57 PM, said:

I enjoyed the first part. Great performances and good seeing the various Star Trek casts in one film. Kudos to the writers, director Tim Russ and all those associated with it. Silly question, what was the name registry and class of ship that was seen earlier, not the Enterprises, but the one that I think transported Capt. Uhura.

That was the USS Gunterman. It was named for a friend of our Associate Producer Peter Christian - see the explanation here...

Ethan

#9 User is offline   pauley79 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

View PostEthan H. Calk, on Dec 23 2007, 10:53 AM, said:

The M does indeed stand for Museum, though we downplayed that in the final cut. The regular officers had the retro 60's uniforms to match the "age" of the ship. The visitors (i.e. Chekov, Uhura and Harriman) wore their regular uniforms.

And they responded to the distress call because the were the closest ship - others were undoubtedly on their way, but the Enterprise got there first...

Ethan

Thanks for the answer. But know it leads me to another question... "Why is the Enterprise, always, the only ship in range?"
N.K.A.W.T.G.

#10 User is offline   Ethan H. Calk Icon

• PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

View Postpauley79, on Dec 22 2007, 08:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the answer. But know it leads me to another question... "Why is the Enterprise, always, the only ship in range?"

Well, what kind of story would we have if they weren't? "Hey, nice ship." "Thanks." The End.

:lol:

Ethan

BTW, it wasn't the only ship in range - just the closest and the first one there.

#11 User is offline   Tiber Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:32 PM

Thanks guys, thanks Mr. Russ and thanks to all actors and the whole staff! I'm anxious to see the next part!

Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig are great... nice to seem them back with so much more well known faces from Star Trek. And I certainly love the story. It nicely ties up to the old series and films with "Charli X" and the short introduction by John Harriman and Uhura.
And it's also nice to see Gene Roddenbery's tradition to pick up problems from the actual real life continued. We are all treating freedom for a fake security at the moment. Hopefully we can put this to an end, before we really have a "Galactic Order" here.

The CGI's don't really fit to this overall really professional looking movie. Maybe it will look a little bit better in the high res version. But I think state of the art CGI's are simply not possible on such a low cost production.

But nevertheless - I really liked it and hope the next part will be released soon.

Tobias

#12 User is offline   Ethan H. Calk Icon

• PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

View PostTiber, on Dec 22 2007, 08:32 PM, said:

Thanks guys, thanks Mr. Russ and thanks to all actors and the whole staff! I'm anxious to see the next part!

Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig are great... nice to seem them back with so much more well known faces from Star Trek. And I certainly love the story. It nicely ties up to the old series and films with "Charli X" and the short introduction by John Harriman and Uhura.
And it's also nice to see Gene Roddenbery's tradition to pick up problems from the actual real life continued. We are all treating freedom for a fake security at the moment. Hopefully we can put this to an end, before we really have a "Galactic Order" here.

The CGI's don't really fit to this overall really professional looking movie. Maybe it will look a little bit better in the high res version. But I think state of the art CGI's are simply not possible on such a low cost production.

But nevertheless - I really liked it and hope the next part will be released soon.

Tobias

Wow! Thanks!

You really got what we were striving for!

And the CG is better - the higher res version will show that... and keep in mind we have an efx crew of 6, only one of whom does cg for a living -

Ethan

#13 User is offline   pauley79 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:17 PM

View PostEthan H. Calk, on Dec 23 2007, 11:13 AM, said:

Well, what kind of story would we have if they weren't? "Hey, nice ship." "Thanks." The End.

:lol:

Ethan

BTW, it wasn't the only ship in range - just the closest and the first one there.

Well, if I do remember, "bring the only ship in range" is what got Capt. Kirk killed in the first place. But anyways, back onto topic...

If James Cawley is playing Peter Kirk, then who is Jeffery Quinn playing?
N.K.A.W.T.G.

#14 User is offline   Amy Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: OG&M Supporting Cast

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

Hey, gang! What a fantastic Christmas present you gave us this year! I loved the film and look forward to seeing the rest of it!

Amy
~ Darmok and Jalad on the ocean.

#15 User is offline   KawiG5 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

So far I am impressed with the story and cannot wait to see how things unfold. I am also impressed with seeing so many Trek actors playing parts in the film.

The only thing I am disappointed in is the CGI. Now I know I'm going to probably catch a lot of flack for posting this especially since Of Gods And Men is totally free for all of the viewers. I'm just basing this on a comparison of another fan film which is free as well from New Voyages, World Enough and Time, which had outstanding CGI.

Sorry if I am being too picky. I guess I had higher expectations

#16 User is offline   Ethan H. Calk Icon

• PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

View Postpauley79, on Dec 22 2007, 09:17 PM, said:

Well, if I do remember, "bring the only ship in range" is what got Capt. Kirk killed in the first place. But anyways, back onto topic...

If James Cawley is playing Peter Kirk, then who is Jeffery Quinn playing?

We didn't actually name Kirk's nephew in our movie - in fact, no names of Samuel Kirk's other two kids are given in any episodes as far as I know (only novels, which aren't official canon) - that's why we just referred to him as "Commander Kirk"

Jeff Quinn is playing a Romulan (not a Vulcan) Helmsman - but happens to look a lot like his New Voyages' Spock...

#17 User is offline   Ethan H. Calk Icon

• PipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

View PostKawiG5, on Dec 22 2007, 09:20 PM, said:

So far I am impressed with the story and cannot wait to see how things unfold. I am also impressed with seeing so many Trek actors playing parts in the film.

The only thing I am disappointed in is the CGI. Now I know I'm going to probably catch a lot of flack for posting this especially since Of Gods And Men is totally free for all of the viewers. I'm just basing this on a comparison of another fan film which is free as well from New Voyages, World Enough and Time, which had outstanding CGI.

Sorry if I am being too picky. I guess I had higher expectations

The version we released today is a "bandwidth friendly" version - the CGI is better - and we'll have a higher-res version available soon

#18 User is offline   KawiG5 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

View PostEthan H. Calk, on Dec 22 2007, 10:35 PM, said:

Wow! Thanks!

You really got what we were striving for!

And the CG is better - the higher res version will show that... and keep in mind we have an efx crew of 6, only one of whom does cg for a living -

Ethan

I take back what I stated in my previous post. Now that I understand how this is working out, I apologize sincerely.

#19 User is offline   KawiG5 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

View PostEthan H. Calk, on Dec 22 2007, 11:22 PM, said:

The version we released today is a "bandwidth friendly" version - the CGI is better - and we'll have a higher-res version available soon

I appreciate you giving me a better understanding. I cannot wait to see the higher-res version. I'm willing to bet that it will look amazing. Thanx again!

#20 User is offline   CaptainFirst Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

You know...I had my doubts about this project. Feared it would be a real dud...but I like it a lot. Great acting by everyone involved, especially Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig. The idea of building a replica NCC-1701 as a museum was a nice touch, and showing Uhura and Chekov as having become close friends with Harriman was also nice.

Over on the Trekmovie site, people are being quite negative about OGAM and that angers me. Everyone involved in the project gave of themselves and created something quite wonderful.

Can not wait for parts 2 and 3...

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users